Re: a modest proposal - Debian needs more $

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anthony Campbell" <ac@acampbell.org.uk>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 3:09 PM
Subject: Re: a modest proposal - Debian needs more $

> On 12 Feb 2002, Roderick Cummings wrote:
> > >From: Nathan E Norman <nnorman@micromuse.com>
> > >To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> > >Subject: Re: a modest proposal - Debian needs more $
> > >Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 10:21:27 -0600
> > >

> > I assume the reason why US-based people have it easy when they make
> > donations is because the treasurer is in the US. For whatever the
reason, I
> > say rather than force debian to build some complicated financial
structure,
> > people who don't have trivial access to US Dollars and/or an easy way to
> > send them to debian should take the extra effort and cost to
convert/send
> > the cash. Consider that part of your donation.
> >

> Surely the point is to increase the number of donations rather than to
> make the givers feel a greater sense of virtue. The more complicated it
> is, the more people will just give up.
>
> I'm no kind of expert on financial matters, but would it be difficult
> for Debian to have a credit card facility which people outside the USA
> could use to transfer money without too great a penalty?

I am in total agreement with this. I wanted to donate some money to debian -
not much but just a little and more often. However, the effort of sending
money to debian far outweighs the "feel good factor." Being able to
contribute using credit card would be great - even if its using paypal or
such.

Regards,

Shri