Logs weirdness

Have just found something on my woody system that seems weird.

Latest upgrade of fwlogwatch doesn't report any firewall messages so I
was checking it out.  In /var/log all of the main log files are empty.
ie messages, syslog, kern, ppp, etc. _but_ there are now .0 logs that
are, in fact, current.  I also noticed that the plog command isn't
working. duh

If I symlink /var/log/messages to /var/log/messages.0 fwlogwatch works
and if I symlink /var/log/ppp.log to /var/log/ppp.log.0 it also works
correctly.

So my question are:
Am I the only one seeing this?
Did I somehow screw the logging up? (/etc/syslog.conf doesn't have
*.log.0 entries)

dpkg -l shows only syslog-summary & klogd installed, Humm, wonder if I
need to install syslog-common ?  Seems like something wasn't upgraded
correctly.

--
"APL is a write-only language.  I can write programs in APL, but I
can't read any of them."