Re: date reset on a /dev/ file

* ben (benfoley@rcn.com) [020210 18:31]:
> On Sunday 10 February 2002 06:00 pm, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> > > thanks for the response, matthew. yeah, i was reading it correctly. touch
> > > does change the date but doesn't affect the inability to cat the file.
> > > cat still claims that it doesn't exist even though ls sees it.
> >
> > What is the file in question?
>
> no offence, but that's really not the significant issue. it's a regular

Well, it might be. For instance, if you're trying to cat a device file
corresponding to your microphone, but you don't have a soundcard, you
will get something like "no such device". The "file" is just a handle to
the device; reading from it makes the kernel do some magic to transfer
data from the physical device to the file output stream.

good times,
Vineet

--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume/