Re: XP then Linux

On Sun, 2002-02-10 at 14:48, Ron Johnson wrote:
> This might not be a cookie thing.  (I presume that "max security"
> means that cookies are disabled...)  If you have a static, or
> never-changing-dhcp IP address, they _might_ me matching name to
> IP address.
>
> What happens when u go in thru a linux browser?

Ok ok.  The thing with amazon knowing you by name has nothing to do with
your IP address.  This is microsoft passport in action.  When you
registered for passport inorder to stop XP from driving you crazy you
gave it permision to hand out your personal information to anyone and
everyone microsoft deems appropriate.

And about your original question.  Yes you can do that.  Linux wont care
where it is on the drive.  You can copy it over to the first 10gb
partition.  The only problem with that is your swap partition.
Basically what will happen is the linux partition wont be exactly 10gb.
What I would do is format the first 10 gig partition as ext2(or what
ever you want) then just mount it as /target then do a cp of everything
in the root partition over to the new partition.  After that you can
easily boot into your new partition and run lilo(or grub) you would have
to change /etc/fstab along with several other config files.  Im probably
forgeting somethings and this will most likely be realatively
difficult.  If I was doing it I would probably just reinstall debian.
If your concerned about keeping the same packages you could do a dpkg
--getselections > selections  I think that is it.  Then do a
set_selections.  I am not sure about how to use that, but the man pages
will explain it sufficiently.  But yeah.  If you descide to go with the
original plan you could always then mount the second partition under
/opt or maybe cp your home onto it.
Hope this helps some.

--
-Scott Henson