Re: XP then Linux

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patrick Kirk" <patrick@kirks.net>
To: " Bruce Burhans" <bburhans@earthlink.net>;
<debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Cc: "dman" <dsh8290@rit.edu>
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2002 2:51 PM
Subject: Re: XP then Linux

> Hi Bruce,
>
> Leaving 10 GIg free for Linux is mor than adaquate.  But some things
to keep
> in mind.
> 1. There are always games amd apps that are Windows only...why not
install
> XP in a 5 Gig partition and just leave it there for those occasions?
If you
> are sure that won't arise, fine but think about it.
> 2. You ought to have at least double your RAM for swap.  So before
creating
> the Liniux space create a swap partition.
> 3. Its usual to have multiple partitions for Linux.  Not essential
though it
> adds to security if the machine is on DSL or a cable modem.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Patrick
> Patrick

Only
> > Woody will handle the USB stuff, so that's that.
> >     So I re-install XP on the first 10Gb, leaving the rest as free
> > space.
> >     Then I use -m  and -n commands to create a Linux-only maximized
> > (extended) partition from the free space, which will be in ext2 by
> > default.
> >     From their I create logical partitions for boot/root , swap ,
var ,
> > and home.
> >
> >     Because I despise XP, I will just boot Debian from a floppy
(will
> > make several copies with rawrite) 'til I have a handle on Linux,
then
> > use dd to write over the first partition with zeros, then dd again
> > copy Woody verbatim to the the first partition where it can access
the
> > BIOS.....
> >
> > Sound like a plan?
> >
> > Your guidance is much appreciated
> >
> > Bruce<+> bburhans@earthlink.net

    Thank you, Patrick.
    I just don't play games on a computer (per se)
    And every since the day I arrived at Amazon.com  (with my secutity
settings at max) and was greeted by name, I simply do not trust MS.
    I do not believe the security glitches they are always being called
on are an accident. The patches are always on their website 5 minutes
after the report breaks.......

Bruce<+>