Re: W32/Myparty

On Saturday 09 February 2002 11:45 am, Brian Nelson wrote:
> Paul 'Baloo' Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> writes:
> > >
> > > How's this you fucking bitch?
> >
> > Both of you, stop being so rude.  Ben, if you don't want private email,
> > either put a disclaimer on your mail or don't subscribe to lists.
>
> No, you use a "Mail-Copies-To: never" or "Mail-Copies-To: nobody" header
> and then any halfway decent mail client will honor that.  If it doesn't,
> then it shouldn't be used to reply to mailing lists.

alright. in order to close this, let me explain the circumstances around it.
normally, if someone responds to me offlist, whether by cc'ing a list
response or otherwise, if i'm willing to carry on the discussion off list, i
do. if i'm not, i generally send a polite response asking them to keep it on
the list and not cc my address. given the nature of the communication above
with mr. gaddis, the response he got was, admittedly, not as polite as usual,
and was an indulgence on my part. however, that response was sent to his
private address in response to a reply sent to mine. i did not post it to the
list as, to my mind, it had, at least until gaddis posted it here, nothing to
do with the business of the list. i hope that's clear to those who've taken
the time to offer solutions as to how i should deal with cc'ed list postings.
to give gaddis credit, he did honor the request, and hasn't cc'ed me since
then. as for what i should do with headers or disclaimers, i think that the
previous method of a polite response requesting not to be cc'ed actually
works, since, on occasion, it's beneficial to take a discussion offlist.

thanks for the helpful suggestions.