Re: Networking - in theory

* Curtis Vaughan (curtis@npc-usa.com) spake thusly:
> Ok, a theoretical question.
>
> If I wish to network linux computers along with Windows computers, it seems
> that I have to have Samba server on each Linux workstation.
>
> Is this correct?
>
> Originally, it was my understanding that Samba server was installed only a
> seperate box that was basically a gateway between, what we might call 2
> 'networks'.

Not really. SMB is application-layer protocol for sharing files and
printers, like NFS (files) or IPP (printers). All these can happily
coexist on the same network.

It's client-server protocol, so you need a samba server on the box
that publishes samba shares, and samba client on the box that wants
to access them. The server is built into winders, so if you want to
access windows shares from a linux box, you need samba client on the
linux box. If you want to let windows boxen to access files/printers
on a linux box, you need samba server on the linux box.

You can install samba server on every linux machine you want to get
to from windoze. Or you can set up one "samba gateway" that mounts
linux filesystems via e.g. NFS, and exports them via SMB. Ditto with
printers.

Dima
--
We're sysadmins. Sanity happens to other people.                  -- Chris King