Re: PHP4 problem after dist-upgrade

On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 04:23:02AM +1100, Paul Hampson wrote:
| On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 07:31:50AM -0600, Michael Sullivan wrote:
| > the problem seems to be related to the apache-common version.
| >
| > in looking at the dependencies for PHP4, apache-common is listed twice, once
| > with  apache-common (>= 1.3.22) and the other apache-common (<< 1.3.22.1)
| >
| > my current version (sid) is apache-common 1.3.23-1
| >
| > is this one of those "wait a few days" things that crops up in sid now and
| > then or should I downgrade apache / apache-common and avoid upgrading for a
| > while?   any help would be appreciated
|
| You may be waiting longer than usual. The PHP4 package has
| just been orphaned. However, it's a pretty popular package,
| I'm sure someone'll pick it up ASAP.
|
| If you want, you should be able to apt-get source and
| rebuild it with dependancies on the current apache.
|
| --
| ===========================================================
| Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
| 4th year CompSci/Asian Studies student, ANU
| The Boss, Bubblesworth Pty Ltd (ABN: 51 095 284 361)
| Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au
|
| Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
| we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
| listening to repetitive music.
|
| This email is licensed to the recipient for non-commercial
| use, duplication and distribution.
| ===========================================================

hello,

i thought that was fixed at some point! here's what i did: find the deb
for php4... somewhere in var/ where apt stores it's cache.... then, use
dpkg to install php4 like so:

dpkg -i --ignore-depends=apache-common php4.....deb

on one of my boxen (theigloo), which is online, this isn't a problem
with current woody sources. at home, my pc is offline... so, i have some
woody cd's i burned at work back in november. every time i use
apt-cdrom, i have to "apt-get -f install" to remove php4 and
php4-mysql.... then install (via apt-cdrom) whatever it is i'm trying to
install, then use dpkg to install php4 and php4-mysql again. my whole
point of rambling is that the "--ignore-depends=apache-common" has never
caused a problem for me.

good luck,
jason

| registered linux user #202942   |   http://counter.li.org/  |
| Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 Woody      |   2.4.16-k6               |
| jason@theigloo.dhs.org          |   http://theigloo.dhs.org |