PHP4 problem after dist-upgrade

after an apt-get update / dist-upgrade last night  I no longer have PHP4 on
my system and cannot install it......

the problem seems to be related to the apache-common version.

in looking at the dependencies for PHP4, apache-common is listed twice, once
with  apache-common (>= 1.3.22) and the other apache-common (<< 1.3.22.1)

my current version (sid) is apache-common 1.3.23-1

is this one of those "wait a few days" things that crops up in sid now and
then or should I downgrade apache / apache-common and avoid upgrading for a
while?   any help would be appreciated