Limit 32 group membership

Hello.
I need help. I must assign any user to more, than 32 groups.
adduser <user> <group> cannot add user to more than 32 groups, but....
... I manually edit /etc/group file.
Unfortunatly, 33'th group rights are not respected.
User cannot access to directory, where right is apply to 33'th group.

I was modifed src:<unpacked-kernel>/include/linux/limits.h
parameter
#define NGROUPS_MAX       40    /* supplemental group IDs are available */
 changed from default 32 ^^^^

Next I was recompiled kernel
2.2.19 , 2.2.20 on Debian and  2.4.17 on Sid.
In all configuration user cannot access to rights 33'th group and next.

In many utils and libraries, limit 32 groups is static limit
in sources. This say me my friend.

Anyone can help me?

ps: sorry for my english.

Znik.