Re: Building custom kernel based off stock debian kernel

Osamu Aoki wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 02:33:43PM +1030, Tom Cook wrote:
> > I think I see what Nick wants, because I kinda wanna do the same
> > thing.  I have compiled any number of kernels before, and know what I
> > am doing.  But I am quite happy with the kernel I have straight out of
> > the box except that I need to apply a patch to my network card driver.
> > So I have to completely reconfigure the kernel in all aspects to suit
> > my system, which seems stupid when someone else has done it for me.
> > All I want is the source tree that was used to compile the kernel that
> > comes with potato, so that I can change four lines and recompile one
> > module.  Is this available?
> Folding at 72th char will be nice :)
>
> Of course the SOURCE is available.  It's Debian, It's GNU!
>
> $ apt-get source kernel-image-2.4.17-686-smp
>
> should give you exact source.  But this is very complicated (Not for me,
> leave this for Herbert Xu)
>
> But most likely, all you need to do is use "source package" and copy
> configuration off your current one as:
>
> # cp /boot/config-2.4.17-686-smp /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.17/.config
> # make menuconfig

<wisely> aaaaahhhh that is what I have been looking for. ;-)

Tom
--
Tom Cook

"I do not believe, you know, that the art and practice of
 sitting on the fence is sufficiently appreciated in our
 society.  To me, it is an occupational necessity."
	- Prince Phillip

Level 6
10 Pultney St.
Adelaide University, AUSTRALIA 5005
Ph    : +61 8 8303 6110
e-mail: tom.cook@adelaide.edu.au

and contains information which may be confidential and/or
copyright.  If you are not the intended recipient please
do not read, save, forward, disclose, or copy the contents
of this email. If this email has been sent to you in error,
please notify the sender by reply email and delete this
email and any copies or links to this email completely and
immediately from your system.  No representation is made
that this email is free of viruses.  Virus scanning is