NIS setup

Just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this (probably) stupid question:

I have two boxes, one is set up as a NIS server (ypserv running) the other as a
NIS client (ypbind finds the server OK).  I have users home directories mounted,
I believe with the correct permissions.  Shadow passwords are not being used on
the server.  I can 'ypcat passwd.byname' fine.  I have the following lines in
/etc/nsswitch.conf:

passwd:		compat
group:		compat
shadow:		compat

passwd_compat:	nis files
group_compat:	nis files
shadow_compat:	nis files

networks:	nis

I can log in fine on the NIS server as a user that is in
/var/yp/domainname/passwd.byuser but not on the client.  Is there some essential
piece of information I'm missing on setting this up?

Cheers
Tom
--
Tom Cook

"I do not believe, you know, that the art and practice of
 sitting on the fence is sufficiently appreciated in our
 society.  To me, it is an occupational necessity."
	- Prince Phillip

Level 6
10 Pultney St.
Adelaide University, AUSTRALIA 5005
Ph    : +61 8 8303 6110
e-mail: tom.cook@adelaide.edu.au

and contains information which may be confidential and/or
copyright.  If you are not the intended recipient please
do not read, save, forward, disclose, or copy the contents
of this email. If this email has been sent to you in error,
please notify the sender by reply email and delete this
email and any copies or links to this email completely and
immediately from your system.  No representation is made
that this email is free of viruses.  Virus scanning is