Re: [±¤°í] CD¹øÈ£ºÎ2002 Àü±¹ÆÇ ¾È³»

On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 07:09:44PM -0800, Bruce Burhans wrote:
| From: "dman" <dsh8290@rit.edu>
| > On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 03:17:37PM -0800, Bruce Burhans wrote:
[...]
| > | On Outlook Express, if you even preview those things, they open
| > | Internet Explorer and take you to a website somewhere.Who knows
| > | what could happen next? I bailed out........
| >
| > What happens next is that you ditch Lookout Express ASAP! :-).
|
| _____________________________________________
|
|     I'm working on it Dman. Have read 2 Debian Install Manuals, 3X each,
[...]
|      But I'm studying hard, and  it's starting to make real sense. Will
| get up the courage to install one of these days.
[...]

Bruce,

I want to encourage you to stick with it and transition a little bit
at a time.  Keep windows around for your "real" work while you
experiment with debian.  As you become more familiar and comfortable
with your new system you'll gradually switch over for your daily
operation.

To start with, what is your current partition setup?  Do you have an
extra disk?  The best situation is if you have some spare partitions
or disks you can install debian on so that you can leave windows
alone.  The next best thing is if you can re-install windows -- first
repartition (which wipes everything out) then install both OSes.

In the meantime, you can start practicing using a unix-like
environment.  Go to www.cygwin.com and install cygwin (it is free).
You can then use bash, etc, and familiarize yourself with the shell
and the various utilities.  I'll note now, though, that cygwin is very
inferior to a real full-blown POSIX system like debian.  The first
problem they have is they have to run on a win32 system and maintain
full compatibility with pure win32 apps.  This becomes painful at
times!  Though with cygwin you can use mutt as your mailer!  It is
great!  You can ditch OE and use a decent tool even before you get
debian going.

HTH,
-D

--

Python is executable pseudocode. Perl is executable line noise.