dual boot Debian computer

I want to rearrange my computer so that I can dual boot Patato and Woody.
I want a separate partition for each, so that I can have a full set of
appropriate software for each.

I need advice on how to set up partitions, and how to configure lilo, etc.
I've looked at my /etc/lilo.conf, which was created during an installation of
Potato, and at lilo documentation. It seems to me that the instructions cover
the case where one has several Linux kernels in the same partition, and the
case where some entirely other, unmentionable, OS is in some other partition.
But I want Linux OS in both, and separate.

Do I need to have boot sectors at the beginning of two different partitions?
How do I do that if I need that? When I tried to mark two partitions as
bootable, the software (fdisk?) refused to accept the command.

What do I do about the master boot record (MBR)? Do I need to put something
sepcial there? How?

Is there a HOWTO on this?

Thanks.

--
Paul E Condon            | Failure is not an option.
pecondon@quiknet.com     | It's bundled with the software.