Re: kernel panic---operator panic too

On Wed, 06 Feb 2002 12:15:14 -0500, dman wrote:

>On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 02:24:35AM -0600, Gary Turner wrote:
>| I just upgraded the kernel to 2.4.17 in a deb package.  The install
>| apparently went ok.  On reboot I got the following:
>|
>| >request_module[block-major-31]: Root fs not mounted
>| >VFS: Cannot open root device "303" or 03:03
>| >please append a correct "root=" boot option
>| >kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:03
>|
>| Obviously this is hand copied.
>|
>| hda3 is my root partition
>|
>| Now as near as I can make out,  the "root=" boot option must refer to
>| /etc/lilo.conf.
>
>If LILO is your bootloader, then, sort-of.  The "root=" refers to the
>kernel command line, which is set by the bootloader, and the
>bootloader knows what to set from its config file.

/etc/lilo.conf has "root=/dev/hda3"

>| Of which there is none on my system.

I blame sleep deprivation for not seeing it.  See the time above.

>What is your bootloader?  If you're using grub, you won't have a
>lilo.conf ;-).
>
>| Or, is there something completely different to do?
>
>The thing to do is fix the problem ;-).  Some things to check :
>
>    o   did you build the kernel yourself?
>    o   does the kernel include the driver for your disk controller?
>    o   does the kernel include support for your root filesystem?
>    o   are you using an initrd or no?

This is a straight apt-get install.  Q2&3 I hope so.  Q4--I have
/initrd, and for some reason (see sleep note above) I added the line
"initrd=/initrd.img" to lilo.conf.  Actually I recall that the install
conf told me to do that.  From your comment on an earlier post, I should
have included the version, as "/initrd.img-2.4.17-686".  Verification?

<cut>
>Do you have an operational machine you can use in the meantime?  I

Yes.  I can boot to 2.2 kernel since help from the list.

>find grub to be really easy to use.  Go grab the grub floppy image
>from the project page and dump it to a floppy.  Then you can
>interactively enter commands to try and boot your system.  If you get
>it right (assumes the kernel itself is complete) then install grub on
>the MBR and simply write those commands in the config file.
>Alternatively you can make a boot disk (from rescue.bin) and boot to
>either a minimial system (the "installer", go to vc2) or try using it
>to load your full system by specifying "rescue root=<blah>" at the
>LILO prompt.

The boot process has been so painless, that until now I haven't paid it
any attention.  If you're draining the swamp, the alligator biting at
your butt tends to get more attention than the lion roaring at the zoo.
The goal is to get back to a painless boot from HD first, then get back
to the swamp :<

BTW, dman, thanks for the help and when I migrate mail to the linbox,
I'll come looking for you :-)

gt
Yes I fear I am living beyond my mental means--Nash