Re: kernel panic---operator panic too

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 02:24:35AM -0600, Gary Turner wrote:
| I just upgraded the kernel to 2.4.17 in a deb package.  The install
| apparently went ok.  On reboot I got the following:
|
| >request_module[block-major-31]: Root fs not mounted
| >VFS: Cannot open root device "303" or 03:03
| >please append a correct "root=" boot option
| >kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:03
|
| Obviously this is hand copied.
|
| hda3 is my root partition
|
| Now as near as I can make out,  the "root=" boot option must refer to
| /etc/lilo.conf.

If LILO is your bootloader, then, sort-of.  The "root=" refers to the
kernel command line, which is set by the bootloader, and the
bootloader knows what to set from its config file.

| Of which there is none on my system.

What is your bootloader?  If you're using grub, you won't have a
lilo.conf ;-).

| Or, is there something completely different to do?

The thing to do is fix the problem ;-).  Some things to check :

    o   did you build the kernel yourself?
    o   does the kernel include the driver for your disk controller?
    o   does the kernel include support for your root filesystem?
    o   are you using an initrd or no?

| I think I got a little cocky and skipped over some critical pre-install
| step.  Fortunately I did decide to test my boot floppies before the
| install and found neither worked!  Attempts to create a good one
| failed!!  So I did a rawrite2 from a cd resc.bin which worked but is a
| pain.  Anyone willing to help save my bacon will be appreciated.

Do you have an operational machine you can use in the meantime?  I
find grub to be really easy to use.  Go grab the grub floppy image
from the project page and dump it to a floppy.  Then you can
interactively enter commands to try and boot your system.  If you get
it right (assumes the kernel itself is complete) then install grub on
the MBR and simply write those commands in the config file.
Alternatively you can make a boot disk (from rescue.bin) and boot to
either a minimial system (the "installer", go to vc2) or try using it
to load your full system by specifying "rescue root=<blah>" at the
LILO prompt.

HTH,
-D

--

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own
understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your