Re: ipmasqadm portfw

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 09:53:01AM +0100, Elm Gysel wrote:
> I'm using kernel 2.2.14 and I have a problem with ipmasqadm portfw.

> >From what I understand from searching mailing lists and so on I don't have
> this aspect commpiled into my kernel.

> This is the .config file :
[snip]
Have you set
CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL
?

> So I suppose I need to recompile this kernel?
Almost certainly...

> if so...
> Can I just compile a 2.4 version to upgrade from this 2.2 version?
> Is there any way not to break things apart if I compile this new kernel? Or
> is the best way to go just to keep the old .config at hand when configuring
> the new one?

Beware, kernel 2.4 uses iptables, not ipchains. So you may have
to upgrade some tools as well. I dunno if ipfwadm supports kernel 2.4,
to be honest.

However, if you're upgrading to 2.4, make sure you're at least on woody,
or have the potato-2.4 support packages by A. Bunk (I think that's the
guy :-) installed.

You can drop the old .config file into the new kernel source
directory, and run
make oldconfig
which will ask you any questions that it doesn't have answers
for already. In fact, make-kpkg does that anyway. :-)

Keep your old kernel around and configured in lilo, so you can
boot back when the new 2.4 kernel doesn't work. :-)

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.

use, duplication and distribution.