A permanent block cursor

Hello.
I dislike that blinking underline cursor. I found in kernel
documentation file (2.2.19) VGA-softcursor.txt instructions on how to
control the cursor, and I could make a nice, blocky, non-blinking
green one. However, certain curses programs (such as vim and mutt)
change the cursor back to that boring underline.

How I can make a *permanent* block cursor? I remember setterm has a
'-store' option, but unlike freebsd, linux setterm don't know how to control
the cursor.