Re: smtp error during fetchmail

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 01:35:59PM +0000, p wrote:
> ...sorry (mutt, exim, & fetchmail).

ah, ic :-)

> after sleeping on it, i think i'm going to re-roll my kernel (2.4.0),
> as i recall trying to use my pcmcia modem, which would dial out but
> could never connect.  (that was months ago since i last tried it.)
> ...seems like there has to be some relation to the modem problem and
> this smtp, "no-connect-to-localhost" issue.

I really don't think they're connected, but feel free to prove me
wrong :-)

> that box has the same configs as my box at the office.  i must have
> screwed up the kernel.

Check you've got lo up: "ifup lo"

> i think you're right--i'll leave the "trifecta" alone.  "kernel," here
> i come!

Hmmm.  Let me know how you get on.

> p.s.  i just realized that the box _can_ send email. i'm thinking smtp
>       would be involved for that.  (it's just that i can't _fetch_ my
>       email.  that must have been why i thought a re-install of fetch-
>       mail was necessary.)  (now i'm really confused.)

Nope - no reinstall req'd. The way it works is: (subject to change
once I spot any mistakes :-)

Incoming email:
 Fetchmail connects to remote mail server, pulls in the mail.
 Fetchmail passes the email directly to the MTA on the local machine
  via the SMTP port, probably using "localhost" rather than the
  hostname. (e.g. "bigdaddy" for me here, as you can see from the mail
  headers)
 The MTA recognises it's local mail, so it changes function to being a
  MDA and (in the simplest case) sticks it in /var/mail/<user>

Outgoing mail:
 Your MUA (e.g. mutt, pine) connects to the local machine's SMTP port
  and gives it the mail.  The MTA listening to the SMTP port works out
  that it has to send it out to your ISP's mail server (smarthost) for
  delivery.

The difference is that your MUA is probably connecting to
<machinename>:smtp, whereas fetchmail is connecting to
localhost:smtp.  Somewhere else, say at the packet filter, you're
allowing access to <machinename>:smtp, but not localhost:smtp.  This
makes a difference, even tho they're essentially the same port, with
the same program listening!

Check your ipchains/iptables script, /etc/hosts.{deny,allow}, and your
xinted.conf file if you're running that (it can listen on specific
interfaces, which inetd can't (I think?)).

If none of that makes sense, blame my boss for working me too hard.
There's only so much VBA you can take in one day :-( How can they can
claim that something's Object-Oriented when you can't even extend a
class baffles me.

jc