true type fonts in X 4.x ?

Does anyone have the short version of how to set up true type fonts
under X ?

Here's what I did, maybe someone can point out the error in my ways.

Add

   Load "xtt"

to XF86Config

I also added /usr/share/fonts/truetype to the font path.

run

  ttfmkfdir -o fonts.dir

in my /usr/share/fonts/truetype directory.

Try xfontsel and :

the fonts are "selectable" but they won't appear, i.e. they don't seem
to render at all.  In fact xfontsel starts acting a little strange
with repaints now working, etc...

TIA

Brian

P.S. Yes, I have truetype fonts in the font directory :-)