Re: Newbie Needing Help With Sound

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 10:33:31AM -0400, Liam Black wrote:
> I've just set up my first-ever Debian box (Potato, 2.2.19). After ironing
> out a few minor problems everything went fine. I'm now at the point where I
> want to have my soundcard working -- it's an ISA CMI8330 based. I have been
> trying to install it, but no one source seems to have all of the
> information, and the information I'm finding seems to conflict in some
> points. Everywhere I looked agreed with pnpdump > isapnp.conf, which I did.
> I uncommented all the lines I needed, and now when I run isapnp
> /etc/isapnp.conf, all the devices on my soundcard register.
>
> But what do I do now? There is no /usr/src/linux directory on my machine,
> and I've never dealt with reconfiguring/recompiling the kernel (which seems
> to be something I have to do?)
>
> Is there an "easy" way to do this?

A quick look at the source shows that the ad1848 driver has support
for the CMI8330.  You could try just "modprobe ad1848", in case your
kernel already has this module built.  The "sndconfig" package might
also help with auto-detecting the settings for IO address, IRQ, etc.
HTH.

--
Eric C. Cooper          e c c @ c m u . e d u