Newbie Needing Help With Sound

Hi,

I've just set up my first-ever Debian box (Potato, 2.2.19). After ironing
out a few minor problems everything went fine. I'm now at the point where I
want to have my soundcard working -- it's an ISA CMI8330 based. I have been
trying to install it, but no one source seems to have all of the
information, and the information I'm finding seems to conflict in some
points. Everywhere I looked agreed with pnpdump > isapnp.conf, which I did.
I uncommented all the lines I needed, and now when I run isapnp
/etc/isapnp.conf, all the devices on my soundcard register.

But what do I do now? There is no /usr/src/linux directory on my machine,
and I've never dealt with reconfiguring/recompiling the kernel (which seems
to be something I have to do?)

Is there an "easy" way to do this?

Sorry if this is a very stupid question.

Thank you,
Liam Black