Re: Total lockups using ext3

On 05 Feb 2002, Arne Goetje wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 February 2002 07:53, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 10:20:17AM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > > After weeks of frustration, I've finally settled that the frequent
> > > lockups I've been getting when on-line with 2.4 series kernels is due to
> > > enabling ext3. If I turn this off in fstab the lockups don't occur. Has
> > > anyone else seen this?
> >
> > I had 2 hard lock-up with newly ext3 enabled system.
> >
> > I observed some irregularity with X start up so I thought it was new X.
> > Console where I run startx become white.  I have 3dfx on cheep SMP box
> > (Abit BP6).  SMP keep popping up interrupt error, anyway.
> >
> > Nice thing is rebooting is much faster with exi3 after hard lock up like
> > this which requires brutal power-off button action.
> >
> > Oh, I use standard kernel-image-2.4.17-686-smp
>
> Can it be that it is a kernel version issue? I use 2.2.14 with ext3-patch
> (self compiled) and don't have any problems at all. In which situations do
> you get these lockups?
>
> Cheers
> Arne
> --

I don't think it's related to kernel version, at least in my case. It's
happened with all kernels from 2.4.10 onwards.

Incidentally, I believe there are known problems with lockups in SMP,
but I don't have that.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux GNU/Debian (Windows-free zone)
For an electronic book (The Assassins of Alamut), skeptical

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our
obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come
from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. [Carl Sagan]