Re: USB keyboard

On Sunday 03 February 2002 11:39 pm,  Bruce Burhans wrote:
>     Will my USB keyboard cause problems when I install 2.2r5?
>     I just ordered the CDs from TechBroker! ! ! ! !
>     Now, I just need to order some courage.......
>
> Bruce<+>

most install processes that i've encountered tend to assume that there's a
regular keyboard during the install process; but then again, i've never done
an installation with a usb keyboard. current kernels do a pretty intensive
search of regularly used ports, including usb ports, so it's quite possible
that it will detect your keyboard and deal with it. for instance, i have a
usb printer and not only does the kernel see it, but it even sends back the
serial number of the printer. based on that, i'm assuming that whatever
kernel comes with the distribution on the disks you're awaiting will do
something similar with your keyboard. if not, do you have a regular keyboard
on hand that you could use temporarily to facilitate the installation? if so,
then you can reconfigure the kernel to read the usb keyboard--a process that
is not at all as difficult as it sounds--then intall the new kernel, shut
down the machine and restart to read the usb keyboard. in any event, it's all
do-able, even though it might not be instantaneous.

hold out for a while, and recheck the list to see if someone else with a usb
keyboard chimes in. if no-one does, go ahead and try it. the other great
thing about linux is that it spits back information about anything that it
can't do. keep a pen and paper on hand and write down anything at all that
you see but don't understand so that you can reference it later.

from your past posts, i know that you've been reading the list for a while
and that you're aware that using linux means getting more intimately involved
with processes of the system that other operating systems pretend you don't
need to know about. the best thing about using linux is that the user gets to
be in control of what's going on in the box. the basic philosophy comes out
of unix, where any application or process is designed so that it achieves
only it's specific task with as little dependence or influence on other tasks
as possible. even describing it all in these terms is difficult because one's
orientation or perspective with regard to viewing the system as a whole is
completely different when using linux, as opposed to the more prevalent
closed systems, whether they come from redmond, wa, or cupertino, ca. rest
assured that there is always a solution. in short, there ain't nohing that
you've got that linus, or linux hasn't taken into account.

if you need extra ensurance, email me offlist and i'll send you contact
information to talk you through the installation. in the meantime, research
any windon't product that allows you to manipulate disk partitions. foremost
of all, before you embark on the installation, post details on the list about
everything you know of your system, as well as everything you know of the
distribution you plan to install.

i hope this helps.