Re: How to overburn CD's?

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 01:40:43AM +0000, Jason Wood wrote:
> I have heard about overburning, but a search on google for "overburn linux"
> seems to bring up one reference - namely to the CD-writing FAQ, where it just
> says that cdrecord can handle overburning without doing anything special.
> Checking out the cdrecord website, I cannot find any reference to overburning.

That's because you don't have to do anything special. ^_^

> My computer can burn cd's fine if I'm not trying to do this. Does anyone have
> any idea what I am doing wrong, and how I can overburn a cd?

Unless your drive supports overburning, you're SOL.  It'll error out the
burn when it hits the capacity encoded on the CD (use 'cdrecord -atip' to
read the encoding on the media).

I've seen utilities for Windows that claim to be able to tell whether the
drive supports overburning, but they're not always accurate... for
instance, Nero claims that my NEC 7700A is overburnable and it isn't, both
according to the manufacturer's spec sheet and my own experience. ^_^

Because of this, I recently replaced it with a LG-4102B that definately IS
(I know because I've been overburning 80 min CD's and writing 90 minute
ones) plus it's also a DVD.

You could always just buy 80 minute CD's.

--
Marc Wilson
msw@cox.net