Debian Perl packages, modules - how to cleanup extras

What's Debian's procedure for installing and maintaining perl?

At the beginning, dselect insisted that packages for perl-5.004
and perl-5.005 be installed. Is it necessary

Other lib*-perl packages were installed and recently perl 5.6.1 was
compiled, successfully, after most defaults were accepted. The result
is three sets of files.

What configuration do I change in what files to eliminate the
duplicate files?

Can I (and how do I ) "hold" some packages while I clean up?

If more debian perl packages are installed, will perl 5.6.1 find them?

Should I add paths to a variable in ~/.cpan/CPAN/MyConfig.pm?

-------------------------
Perl* currently in $PATH:
perl							   perl-5.004
perl-5.005						   perl5.004
perl5.00405						   perl5.005
perl5.00503						   perl5.6.1
perlbug-5.004					   perlbug-5.005
perlcc							   perlcc-5.005
perldoc							   perldoc-5.004
perldoc-5.005

"dpkg -l lib*-perl" shows 22 packages installed

 LocalWords:  perlcc perlcc perldoc perldoc