Re: Woody kernel rebuild screws the pooch.

* Phillip Remaker (remaker@suespammers.org) spake thusly:

> I seem to be an idiot.
>
> I wanted to add sound to by Woody install, and figured I needed to build me
> a kernel (to add isapnp which seems not to be there by default).
> The kernel (2.2.20) that installed with the woody installer used
> the RTL8139 loadable module, and worked great.
>
> I followed the "make-kpkg" instructions, determined to build a kernel the
> "Debian Way."  When I went to install it, I did not back up the modules and
> ignored warnings about the modules, and SURPRISE!  The rtl8139 modules fail
> to load due to unresolved symbols.  MY incorrect assumption was that since I
> was rebuilding mostly the same kernel, I shouldn't have an issue to reuse
> the old modules.  Well, that was wrong.

This is usually due to different "set version information on
all modules" (or whatever CONFIG_MODEVERSIONS is called)
setting in old/new kernel. Fixed by "mv /lib/modules/$VERSION
/lib/modules/$VERSION.old" before installing new kernel. Those
warnings are there for a reason, and now you know what the
reason is.

> Worse, I can't get make-kpkg modules_install to work.  I'm not sure exactly
> which source I need in /usr/src/modules, and the make process seems to error
> out every time.

You don't need that unless you have extra stuff (ie. not part
of the kernel tree, like alsa or nvidia) in /usr/src/modules.

> So the way I see it I have several ways to unhose myself, but can't find
> good docs on the best way to proceed:
>
> 1) Get the right source somewhere and compile and install the kernel right.
>
> 2) Punt, and revert to the stock kernel [1]

Yes. I don't think I ever used Debian kernel source package,
stock kernel builds and installs just fine with make-kpkg
(IIRC it's been that way ever since make-kpkg was written).

> I have booted the "rescue" disk but it also fails to work (same unresolved
> symbols problem).  I guess I need to better understand how the boot process
> and module linking works 8-(

Simple: modules are installed in /lib/modules/$VERSION. If rescue
disk has the same kernel version, you'll have the same unresolved
symbols problem with it.

> I'm feeling dumb.  I also assumed (hoped?) that dpkg would have backed up
> the old kernel for me as part of the process.

It did. It's /vmlinuz.old. That doesn't help you any if it's the
same kernel version (see above).

...I wish the kernel build
> process FAQ had a section on "you've screwed yourself!  *NOW* what do you
> do?"
>
> I hate to wipe and reinstall but I'm on the brink of that 8-(

Ok, build a 2.2.19 or something ($VERSION that you don't
have in /lib/modules). That should give you a bootable
system. Then remove 2.2.20, inc. modules, rebuild 2.2.20
and reinstall it.

> I guess Debian isn't for wimps.

Life isn't for wimps. Deal with it.

> [1] Is it easy to add an isa PNP sound card to the kernel without a
> recompile?  ESS 1869, for the curious.  I was thinking perhaps I should
> revert to the stock kernel and try to install ALSA.  Whee.

Alsa is not for wimps. ESS cards work fine with OSS/Lite
(stock kernel) drivers, but you'll have to learn to use
isapnp (ISA PnP sucks by design, there's no way around that).

Dima
--
I have not been able to think of any way of describing Perl to [person]
"Hello, blind man?  This is color."                                      -- DPM