Woody kernel rebuild screws the pooch.

I seem to be an idiot.

I wanted to add sound to by Woody install, and figured I needed to build me
a kernel (to add isapnp which seems not to be there by default).
The kernel (2.2.20) that installed with the woody installer used
the RTL8139 loadable module, and worked great.

I followed the "make-kpkg" instructions, determined to build a kernel the
"Debian Way."  When I went to install it, I did not back up the modules and
ignored warnings about the modules, and SURPRISE!  The rtl8139 modules fail
to load due to unresolved symbols.  MY incorrect assumption was that since I
was rebuilding mostly the same kernel, I shouldn't have an issue to reuse
the old modules.  Well, that was wrong.

Worse, I can't get make-kpkg modules_install to work.  I'm not sure exactly
which source I need in /usr/src/modules, and the make process seems to error
out every time.

Of course, the system is off the air (no ethernet) so I can't cut and paste
exact messages 8-(

So the way I see it I have several ways to unhose myself, but can't find
good docs on the best way to proceed:

1) Get the right source somewhere and compile and install the kernel right.

2) Punt, and revert to the stock kernel [1]

I have booted the "rescue" disk but it also fails to work (same unresolved
symbols problem).  I guess I need to better understand how the boot process
and module linking works 8-(

I can't apt-get anything since I wiped the ethernet out 8-(

I'm feeling dumb.  I also assumed (hoped?) that dpkg would have backed up
the old kernel for me as part of the process.  I wish the kernel build
process FAQ had a section on "you've screwed yourself!  *NOW* what do you
do?"

I hate to wipe and reinstall but I'm on the brink of that 8-(

I guess Debian isn't for wimps.

[1] Is it easy to add an isa PNP sound card to the kernel without a
recompile?  ESS 1869, for the curious.  I was thinking perhaps I should
revert to the stock kernel and try to install ALSA.  Whee.