Re: Which FTP client?

On Sun, 2002-02-03 at 02:37, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
> * Balazs Javor (jb3@freemail.hu) spake thusly:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm trying to replace my current favorite FTP client
> > CuteFTP with a Linux one.
> > Which is the best client out there?
> >
> > I'd like to be able to:
> > -easyly create a queue of files and directories (recursive)
> >  to be downloaded
> > -leave it unattended
> >
> > For the second point it should be able to reconnect if
> > disconnected and retry say every 60 seconds if it does not
> > get it. Then it should resume the downloads without asking
> > questions.
> >
> > Any advise is greatly appreciated!
> > Many thanks for your help in advance!
>
> I use ncftp, but there's also lftp etc. As for unattended
> downloads and auto-retries, learn some shell scripting.
> There's little point in programming that functionality
> into ftp client when all you need to do is call it in eg.
> a while loop (man bash).

lftp is exactly what Balazs needs. It becomes super powerful with its
scripting stuff. Just write all your lftp commands down in a file and
lftp -f script. The backgrounding of downloads and queuing with the &
shell like stuff is great too.

No gui though, but you wont miss it, in fact you'll feel sorry for those
poor cuteftp people . Trust me :) apt-get install lftp

Crispin