Re: moving windows

> > > Is it possible to restore a windows partition from tar?
>
> Not quite. I think he wants to know if he can use the standard GNU tools
> to do a backup of his or his other's Windows installation and so save
> $$$ on buying Norton Ghost.

okay. well then:

  dd if=/dev/hda1 bs=1024k | gzip > partition.gz

will create a compressed image of a partition.

  zcat partition.gz | dd of=/dev/hda1 bs=1024k

will restore it.

no need for tar. you'd want tar if you want to save the data on the
partition rather than imaging the partition.

you should formulate your questions better...

anyone around? -- no, we're all irregular polygons.