Re: moving windows

On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 07:40:49PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:

> > Not quite. I think he wants to know if he can use the standard GNU tools
> > to do a backup of his or his other's Windows installation and so save
> > $$$ on buying Norton Ghost.
>
> okay. well then:
...usefull commands snipped
> no need for tar. you'd want tar if you want to save the data on the
> partition rather than imaging the partition.

be ware, a Windows install writes bits and peaces at specific places on
the disk and expects to find those at those places.  Unfortunately some
of those places are remembered as disk addresses rather then as file/dir
names.  So simply untarring a previous installed Windows won't do, atleast
that's what I understood of it.

The second thing to be cautios about is that a typical Windows install
partition, even when compressed, will need large file support on your
linux install. Or you have to split it up in smaller chunks.

--
groetjes, carel