Re: Woody root on RAID and 2.4.17

Hi Alvin,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

On Sat, 2 Feb 2002, Alvin Oga wrote:

> a.   try to boot debian off of one single scsi disk first

It works fine off one disk.  I have installed on one disk and will be
transferring to RAID as per Boot+Root+RAID+Lilo-HOWTO.

> 	- copy the initrd.tgz file and the kernel
> 	onto floppy

I'm not using an initrd; the SCSI driver is compiled in the kernel, as
is the RAID support.  Used to work fine on potato with patched 2.2.19...

> 	- you will need it to read the scsi disks...
> 	and cant read teh disk till you have the scsi driver
> 	( catch-22 problem )
>
> 	- make a boot floppy that boots debian on one scsi disk first...
> 	( at least i would wanna know that i can boot a regular
> 	( scsi disk first from itself... and boot the scsi off a floppy

The single disk boots off of the single disk MBR, so it's not a SCSI
driver issue.

> b.  make sure that your partition type is fd ( raid autodetect )

It is; the arrays on the other disks are started automatically when I boot
into the single disk.

>     when you are ready to build your sda1 and sdb1 root raid ...
> 	- i assume you have a typo below for your /boot raid partition
> 	definitions

Sorry:

root fs: /dev/md2 (sda2+sdb2)

/boot: /dev/md1 (sda1 +sdb1)

> c.  make sure lilo.conf has a line for initrd=initrd.gz

Not using initrd...

> 	and use lba32 nt linear

Tried it both ways, no joy...

> 	i'd also remove the chs info from lilo.conf

OK, will try that next.

> - patches arent needed for raid0/raid1 for 2.2 or 2.4 kernels...
> 	and probably required for raid5 on most 2.2 kernels

I'm using 2.4.17 without any patches.

Thanks,

G.