Re: New sid box.

Robert L. Harris wrote:

Rebuilt my laptop to fix the /var/lib/dpkg/status problem.  I install
sawfish-gnome and all it's dependancies, xserver-xfree86 and fonts.
Enter "startx":

Get the graphical grey background (normal X without window manager)
On the console I get:
  Audit: Fri Feb 1 07:18:29 2002: 5047 X: client 1 rejected from ocal host
  Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by Server
  Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server

doing a Ctrl-Z, bg and trying to export DISPLAY="localhost:0.0" && xhost +
just says unable to connect to X server.

First time I've seen this one.  Anyone?

You're not trying to do this as root are you?

You might try a different wm (create/edit ~/.xinitrc and/or ~/.xsession and comment out anything except the windowmanager of your choice). Try something simple, like twm or fvwm or icewm. This will help determine if it's an X problem or a wm problem or what.

Kent