Re: /var/lib/dpkg/status missing?

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 07:20:22PM -0700, Robert L. Harris wrote:

> I'm building a new machine.  It crashed durring a dist-upgrade after
> basic install and config.  I went to install gnome after it cleaned the
> disks and it says it can't find /var/lib/dpkg/status.

dpkg keeps a backup in /var/backups, something like:
    # cp /var/backups/dpkg.status.0 /var/lib/dpkg/status

should get you back on your feet again.

*BUT*: Any packages you have installed/removed since the timestamp of
the backup won't be there, so you'll need to redo those
installs/removals to convince dpkg what happened.

> Am I screwed or can this be rebuild somehow?

? On the edge, but not over the cliff yet. Just walk carefully...

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com