Re: /var/lib/dpkg/status missing?

Going in the archive.  Thanks, unfortunately I rebuilt last night.  Love
how debian can be rebuilt from scratch in about an hour (minus some odd
X error)...  (Would be a lot shorter install but I'm installing a laptop
to potato, upgrading the kernel/pcmcia then upgrading to sid.)

Thus spake Karl E. Jorgensen (karl@jorgensen.com):

> On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 07:20:22PM -0700, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> >

> > I'm building a new machine.  It crashed durring a dist-upgrade after
> > basic install and config.  I went to install gnome after it cleaned the
> > disks and it says it can't find /var/lib/dpkg/status.
>
> dpkg keeps a backup in /var/backups, something like:
>     # cp /var/backups/dpkg.status.0 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> should get you back on your feet again.
>
> *BUT*: Any packages you have installed/removed since the timestamp of
> the backup won't be there, so you'll need to redo those
> installs/removals to convince dpkg what happened.
> >
> > Am I screwed or can this be rebuild somehow?
>
> ? On the edge, but not over the cliff yet. Just walk carefully...
>
> --
> Karl E. J?rgensen
> karl@jorgensen.com
> www.karl.jorgensen.com