Re: What is a good, small, web browser?

On 31 Jan 2002 20:52:19 -0500
David Moore <davmre@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-01-31 at 20:44, Seneca Cunningham wrote:
> > I have a small system (100MHz pentium, 900M /usr, 1024K video ram) that I
> > want to access the internet on. A problem that I have is that when the
> > network that I use was set up, the gateway software that was decided upon
> > requires the browsers used to have java support. I can't get away from it, I
> > need a browser with java support to access the internet (the main reason why
> > I still use windoze).
> >
> > So I was wondering about if there are any good, _small_ browsers like that.
> > I tried mozilla on my system, and I had enough time to eat lunch while it
> > started up (I have since removed mozilla).
> >
> > I have X4 installed and working, but I don't want to install any desktop
> > managers.
[...]
> Try Opera. It's non-free, but it seems like what you want. I personally
> would prefer Galeon, but that won't work if you don't want to install
> GNOME.

Once upon a time there was a debian package called skipstone that ran
Mozilla without any Gnome dependencies:

http://www.muhri.net/skipstone/skipstone-0.7.8.tar.gz

The latest debian version is skipstone-0.7.6. May the source be with you.

--
Humanity's future is in the stars:
support a manned mission to Mars!