Re: What is a good, small, web browser?

David Moore <davmre@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-01-31 at 20:44, Seneca Cunningham wrote:
> > I have a small system (100MHz pentium, 900M /usr, 1024K video ram) that
> > want to access the internet on. A problem that I have is that when the
> > network that I use was set up, the gateway software that was decided
upon
> > requires the browsers used to have java support. I can't get away from
it, I
> > need a browser with java support to access the internet (the main reason
why
> > I still use windoze).
> >
> > So I was wondering about if there are any good, _small_ browsers like
that.
> > I tried mozilla on my system, and I had enough time to eat lunch while
it
> > started up (I have since removed mozilla).
> >
> > I have X4 installed and working, but I don't want to install any desktop
> > managers.
> >
> > Thanks for any help,
> >
> > Seneca
> > seneca@slemish.com
> >

> Try Opera. It's non-free, but it seems like what you want. I personally
> would prefer Galeon, but that won't work if you don't want to install
> GNOME.

I have a very good reason for not wanting to install GNOME or another
desktop manager. I tried GNOME about a month ago, and it's performance was
similar to that of my 286 when windows 3.0 was installed on it. You really
could doze off while it was loading.

It seems like a possible spare-time (like I'll get any with 4A literature OA
chem && calculus) project of mine will be learning more about the internet
&& java and (possibly) making my own browser that fits my requirements. I
would prefer not to load anything that's non-free.

Thanks for any help,

Seneca
seneca@slemish.com