"gdm stop" starts gdm

Hi debian-users,

 Among several little problems I'm having, this ones rather
 interesting:

 /etc/init.d/gdm stop

 This will actually start gdm on my system. When it's running it will
 say: "gdm already running. Aborting!"

 The gdm script is unmodified, so the command should indeed do the
 right thing. When entering the command in the stop section manually,
 nothing appears to happen -- gdm is not stopped anyway.

 The installation is a minimal potato install with woody upgrade and
 all other components added later per apt-get.According to apt-get,
 there are also no broken dependencies or the likes.

 Any clues on this? :)

--
Jast - mailto:jast@zno.de
AIM     jasticle