RE: kernel 2.4.17...2 strange things

> > > The other problem is that with my previous 2.2.19 kernel the 3com
> > > was detected at IRQ7 and 0x300 which is what it is set to...
> > > (checked with the 3com utils)
> > >
> > > But with 2.4.17 it gives me IRQ12 and base 220....which is the PS2

> > > port IRQ...(so no mouse either) I checked again with the 3com
utils
> > > and the card was still set to 7/300
> > >
> > > From what i can tell i did compile the kernel with all the right
> > > options including PNPisa.
> > >
> > > How do i solve this?

Sorry I don't know who the original poster was so I could reply
directly...

YMMV, as you're using two dissimilar cards, but I had a similar
experience.  The exact same setup worked with two 3c509 cards in 2.2.20,
but not 2.4.17, and the solution for me seems to be

	append="ether=5,0x300,eth0 ether=7,0x330,eth1"

in lilo.conf -- although there may be another way to do this (I seem to
recall it having been possible to stick these values in modules.conf but
I'm not certain).  For whatever reason, the autoprobing that works
perfectly well in the 2.2 kernel doesn't in the 2.4?

The above syntax, if it's not clear, is "ether=<IRQ>,<BASE>,<IFACE#>".
Don't forget to run lilo if you change the config file.  :)

Granted, you should disable PNP in the NICs in order to specify their
resources.  But I personally like knowing that the hardware is using a
particular, assigned IRQ and address.  If I need to change it or move it
around later, so be it... PnP has been nothing but a hassle for me with
ISA devices.

HTH,

Jeff Bonner