Re: Is Framebuffer needed?

On 30 Jan 2002 20:36:14 -0600
Lance Hoffmeyer <lance@augustmail.com> wrote:
> In trying to optimize my Voodoo 3500 with mplayer I compiled my kernel
> 2.4.17 with framebuffer support.  Is this necessary, or what
> advantages do framebuffers have?  In the docs it seems that fb's
> simply allow for similar config's on different architechures.
> Therefore, if one is running an Intel machine then it doesn't seem
> like framebuffers have any added advantage.  Is this correct?

As far as performance is concerned, you're right, there is no advantage.

There are some kind of nifty benefits. As you mentioned, the "config for
multiple machines" thing. And you can have graphics in the console. Not
many apps or libraries have support for it, but it's still nifty. Also,
since you're essentially running the console in a graphics mode, more
text can fit on the screen while maintaining readibility.

--
/    David Barclay Harris            Aut agere, aut mori.      \