Re: network isues.

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 02:41:02 +0000 (UTC)
"Andrew J. Hoyos" <hoyosa@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> I recently tried to set-up exim for sending mail on my lan. I have a 5
> computer setup with one computer masq'ing my ppp connection.
>
> I can send and receive mail locally, and receive "internet" mail, but
> can't send it out. I am getting errors in mainlog, that say "Network
> is unreachable"
>
> For example, If I send a message to my self (foobar@hotmail.com) from
> the lan, I get a message that says Network is unreachable. I can ping
> hotmail.com, ftp hotmail.com and telnet hotmail.com, but telnet
> hotmail.com 25, gives me a network unreachable message.
>
> Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong? Where should I be
> looking?

Oh my! Sounds like your ISP is blocking port 25. This would mean that
you *MUST* use their SMTP servers.

This isn't as horrible as it seems, since any decent MTA has support for
using a single relay host to send mail. In Exim parlance, this is the
"smarthost". If you re-run 'eximconfig' and tell it that your ISP's SMTP
server is its smarthost, I imagine the errors you're getting will go
away.

(BTW, you will probably encounter issues with sending mail directly to
other computers' port 25. Many MTAs are extremely anal about who and who
not to accept mail from.)

--
/    David Barclay Harris            Aut agere, aut mori.      \