Re: pcmcia support in r3.0

"Pieter De Troyer" <pieter.detroyer@mech.kuleuven.ac.be> writes:
> I'm installing debian woody (r3.0) on a laptop. I want to do a
> network-install. The bootfloppies I 've got don't seem to get my network
> working right. I loaded (manually, because mdprobe didn't do it) the
> following modules:
>
> pcmcia_core
> i82365
> pcnet_cs
> ds
> 8390
>
> the led's on the pcmcia connector are lit, but i don't have any
> connection... configuring the network doesn't work because there is no
> interface found...
>
> any suggestions would be very welcome,

It may or may not be related, but I ran into a stumper on a friends
laptop. It turns out that if you're using cardbus pcmcia cards (32 bit
cards, as opposed to 16 bit), pcmcia-cs no longer manages the card,
but instead it's managed by the HOTPLUG stuff (Option "Support for
hot-pluggable devices" in "General Setup" of the kernel
configuration).

At least I think that's the default situation, but I believe you can
get pcmcia-cs separately and have it manage the card. Don't listen to
me on the details though! I was totally confused trying to figure it
out and through sheer luck managed to get things going on his
laptop. Since then I've put a mental block on all the details to avoid
brain overload.

Perhaps someone can explain how PCMCIA-CS and HOTPLUG get along and
how to configure CardBus PCMICA cards that use HOTPLUG?

Anyway, it gives you something to start looking at.

Gary