Re: [OT] sorcerer and debian-bsd

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Paolo Alexis Falcone wrote:

> Encountered that distro too. Needs a hell of a processor (since it compiles
> packages optimized to the processor), a fast internet connection and some good
> amount of hard disk space. And sure it takes a long time to get it ready
> (but heck, you get a setup custom-compiled to the type of hardware you have).
> Plus the fact that it ain't for the beginner (the first step is for the
> power user to compile the kernel first after succeeding in installing the
> preliminary packages installed in their custom ISO-image).

Anybody has an idea about how compiler-optimalization for a specific CPU
affects speed or code-size?

Ofcourse, specific applications like mpg123 or mplayer benefit alot,
but how about standard things like exim or bash?

Could anybody point me to some documentation/tests?

[quick google search didn't give anything specific]
[+ don't have that much time to search atm, bloody exams...]

  Dries