Re: kernel upgrade; modules not loading

Hello Jeff,

> - From a fresh source extraction:
>  1. make xconfig|menuconfig
>  2. make-kpkg clean
>  3. Adjust "Extraversion" in Makefile, e.g. -1 to make resultant
>     kernel "2.4.17-1"
>  4. make-kpkg kernel_image

oh, oh.
Why do I have to compile and install a kernel for debian in such a
special way?

I'm running a 2.2r5 unstable, updated daily, and compiled my own
2.4.17-kernel today in the "old way" (d/l from kernel.org in
/usr/src/linux/, make xconfig, make dep && make bzImage, make modules
&& make modules_install, cp bzImage /boot/, ln -s /vmlinuz, edit
/etc/lilo.conf, lilo, reboot).

Since now, everything is working fine and exactly as I expected it (to
be honest, better than I expected it, because it's the first time a
self-compiled kernel worked without problems ;) ).

Did I made something wrong? What's the problem about "working around"
the debian package-management? Do I have to expect problems with
aptitude from now on?

--
cu Hessi