Re: kernel upgrade; modules not loading

James Lindenschmidt, 2002-Jan-26 20:02 -0500:
> make clean
> make xconfig
> make-kpkg kernel_image
> cd ..
> dpkg -i linux-2.4.17(plus extensions).deb

The process should be:

- From a fresh source extraction:
 1. make xconfig|menuconfig
 2. make-kpkg clean
 3. Adjust "Extraversion" in Makefile, e.g. -1 to make resultant
    kernel "2.4.17-1"
 4. make-kpkg clean

- From a source tree previously compiled, run 'make mrproper' to
  clean it up to start over.

> Did I miss something? Is there an equivalent to make
> modules and make modules_install that I'm missing? I
> expected the make-kpkg to automate the modules.

If you have modules in /usr/src/modules that you need to compile
with the kernel, run 'make-kpkg modules_image' which will compile
the modules into a .deb file just like the kernel.  Do a 'dpkg
-i' on it after installing the kernel and the modules will be
installed.

have fun,
jc

--