Re: OT: Secure Email provider

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 11:39:26AM -0500, Sunny Dubey wrote:
| Hi,
|
| Sorry for the offtopic post, but is anyone aware of an email
| provider that uses technologies like imap-ssl/pop3-ssl/smtp-ssl,
| (etc) ...
|
| I wouldn't mind paying a small fee or something, I'm just tired of
| clear text mail systems.

I don't know of any, but almost all of SMTP systems are "clear text",
unless you gpg encrypt your message.  If you send a message out to
someone, the probability that the message will be transfered
unencrypted at some point is rather high (definite if you send it to
me).  When you receive messages from someone, the probability that it
originated, or at least crossed, an unencrypted connection is equally
high (definite if the message came from me).  The point is that having
any of those protocols over SSL at your end is rather pointless in the
big picture.  If you want "private" communication, use gpg to encrypt
your messages.  The bytes are still "clear text" (well, "clear bytes",
otherwise they'd be corrupted), but only you and the other person will
be able to understand what the byte stream actually means.

HTH,
-D

--

The wise in heart are called discerning,
and pleasant words promote instruction.