Re: wvdial & routing

On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 05:00:56PM -0800, CogSci-Klaus wrote:
> Adam Majer wrote:
>
> >On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 12:06:24PM -0800, CogSci-Klaus wrote:
> >
> >>Two problems:
> >>
> >>1) Still struggling with my internet connection when I'm not root. As
> >>user,
> >>wvdial compains about pemission denied for /dev/ttyS0. After every reboot
> >>the
> >>change of permission is reversed again. How can I make it permanent?
> >>

> >Are you using devfs? Sounds like it...
>
> ?? What's that? And how can I find out? (Newbie)

If you type

ls /dev/tty* and get a large number of files you are not running devfs [devfs is
Device FileSystem maintained by the kernel so only devices that are present get
displayed there. Unfortunatelly, I wasn't able to run it very good :)

So if you change permissions to

chmod a+rw /dev/ttyS0

you get reset back to -rw-rw--- when reboot?

If yes, then it seems that it is one of the init.d scripts that is doing that.
Those are in /etc/init.d

Maybe try:

cd /etc/init.d
grep dev/ttyS *