Re: persistent storage hardware: recommendations, comments, and opinions please

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 09:14:23PM -0500, dman wrote:

> First my current setup:
>     10GB Maxtor IDE disk
>         Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>         5.6G  5.1G  271M  96% /
>         4.0G  2.5G  1.3G  64% /home
>         125M   40k  124M   1% /tmp  (tmpfs, not on-disk)
>
><snip>
>
> Controllers :
>
> Adaptec SCSI Card 2906
>     7 devices, non-bootable, 10 MBps transfer, $63
>     SCSI 1, SCSI 2, Fast SCSI 2
>
> Adaptec ATA RAID 1200A
>     2 ATA/100 channels, RAID 0 1 0/1 JBOD, bootable, $100
>
> CompUSA (Silicon Image Sil0649CL160)
>     Ultra ATA 100, 2 channel, ACPI, $30

IMO, do not use IDE raid unless it's software RAID, and then shy away from
it. RAID 0 and 1 are probably reliable on both 3ware cards and software RAID,
but RAID 5 is definately dodgy on both - I have read so many nightmare stories
about such setups that if you're going to do RAID 5 then only use hardware
SCSI controllers (Mylex for example). These are pricey, but they will not kill
you data with gay abandon - cheap (or not so) IDE RAID cards can afford you
false security.

Just my 2p.

Matthew

--