Re: "RPM hell" question

--- Alec <alec1976nyc@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was recently asked to help a Redhat user install
> an RPM file from
> rpmfind.net. It had a dozen of unsatisfied
> dependencies that had their own
> unsatisfied dependencies, etc. My only idea was to
> manually search
> rpmfind.net, download the necessary RPMs and install
> them  with 'rpm
> --install'. It's a very tedious process, considering
> that besides unsatisfied
> dependencies, some packages have conflicts as well.
> Is there any way to
> automate this process? Moving to Debian is out of
> the question, because that
> Redhat user needs to run a certain proprietary
> program that only supports
> Redhat <= 7.1

<<SNIP>>

I to have been saddled w/ doing some admin work on a
couple of redhat machines. Recent versions of RH have
a utility called "up2date" which is like a poor man's
version of apt ;-) Anyway, so far I've only been able
to use it for redhat official mirrors and it seems to
only allow you to look for packages for the your
current version of redhat. Though I must confess that
I haven't really poked at it too hard...

=====
rascharles@yahoo.com
Hacking is a "Good Thing!"
See http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html