Re: where does s10 come from in ifconfig?

Gary Turner <kk5st@swbell.net> wrote:

I just upgraded to Woody this A.M., and was feeling like pretty hot
stuff.  My dsl was humming at 9MB/min throughput and installation and
configuration happened pretty much like it's supposed to--a few broken
depends, nothing bad.

When I went back to try to clean a few things up, it hit the fan.  I can
no longer connect to the server with koko.  But, my other boxes can
(etta and aretha, both w98), on the same LAN using the same Netgear
gateway/router/firewall/dhcp server (bessie).

As you can see from the ifconfig output, eth0 and lo are apparently OK.
koko has a working eth1, but it is disabled/not connected right now.
Notice the new guy, s10.  I have no idea where he came from.  What does
serial line mean in this context?  The addresses 192.168.0.1 & 2 belong
to bessie the router and etta a winbox respectively.  koko can ping .1,
.3, and localhost.  Neither etta nor aretha can ping koko, but they can
ping each other and bessie the router.  They can telnet to bessie also.

Telnet from koko to 192.168.0.1 (should be bessie) opens koko!

ifdown -a does not take down s10.

The interfaces file is clean as near as I can tell.  The upgrade did
modify this file, adding the 'auto' parameter.

The route file is a mess.  This was none of my doing.  I could clean it
up, but that does not answer how it got that way.  It doesn't get rid of
s10 in the ifconfig file either.

Will somebody please come forward and point out whatever stupid thing I
did to get here.  Then please show me the simple way home.

tnx,

gt

Take a look and see if the "diald" pacakge is installed. (dpkg -l diald) If I recall correctly, diald would create a "psuedo" serial interface called s10 to monitor network traffic and then initiate a modem dial-out if it detected a packet destined for outside the LAN. Since you have DSL with a working router, you really don't have any need for diald. I would just remove it.

You probably will have to go back and re-configure you network interfaces again. If you have the "etherconf" pacakge installed (dpkg -l etherconf) then all you will have to do it run it and you should see the same series of question about your network as you saw during install. If it is not there, you will have to re-do the /etc/network/interfaces manually. BTW, etherconf only works on ONE NIC at present. If you configure the second one, you will have to do it by hand.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-